I just finished moving all of my old blog articles (heh, all 12 or so of them) from my old blog to this one. I guess that makes it official. There’s still quite a bit about this new arrangement that I’d like to tweak when I get the time… Who knows? Perhaps I’ll be really motivated and get it all done by my next blog entry. :)
The things I’d still like to do with this blog are:
- Find a better template/style. I’ve tried three so far, and the one I’ve got right now is okay, but there are still several things about it that bug me. Some of the colors, for instance, are too washed out.
- I don’t like how it shows entries based on their age. I’d rather it show just the last n_ entries, instead of all entries at most _n days old. I need to see if that’s fixable.
- I don’t like how a blog’s list of “related links” must be hardcoded into the template. If I ever change templates, I have to make sure to copy my favorite links to the new template. Yuck!
- I would prefer that each article showed which category (or categories) it belonged to.
On the other hand, there are several things about it I like:
- Multiple categories per article. I’m not sure if I’ll use that feature or not, but it’s kind of nice.
- CSS-based themes. I need to learn more about CSS to really take advantage of this, and it only works with “modern” (read “no more than 2 years old”) browsers, but it is quite powerful.
- The calendar “component” is nice.
- Plugins! It really like that I can choose almost any text format system that I like (although it would be nice if there were an RDoc formatting option… guess I’ll add that to my “to do” list).
Other things I’m still not sure I like or not:
- Blogs are published as static pages, instead of dynamically generated on the fly. There are pros and cons to both approaches, so I guess I’m riding the fence right now.
- Written in Perl… yah, that means it’ll work just about anywhere, but I’m so partial to Ruby right now…